This technical guide will walk you through the process of collecting feedback from students using the survey tool from within our Canvas LMS.
We will break this process into six sections so that it is easier to digest:
1. The course professor will add the course evaluator to the course so that she/he can access the course. See more...
- From within your course, go to the people tool and click on the ‘+People’ blue button to add the evaluator to the course <screenshot>
- On the next screen, enter the evaluator’s email address, choose ‘Evaluator’ from the ‘Role’ drop-down menu and click ‘Next‘ button <screenshot>
- Now verify the fields and click ‘Add Users‘ button <screenshot>
2. Next the course professor will import the survey into the course from Canvas Commons. See more...
- From the course home page, click on ‘Import from Common‘ button <screenshot>
- Search for ‘YCCD Student Evaluation’ and click on the result link that is labeled as ‘Student Evaluation Survey’ and has a description of ‘YCCD Student Evaluation Survey’ <screenshot>
- Next, you will see listing of your courses on the right side of screen under the section ‘Import into Canvas’, Select the course you want to import the survey into and click on the green button labeled as ‘Import into Course‘ <screenshot>
- Now go into ‘Student Evaluation Survey‘ <screenshot>, select the ‘Keep Submissions Anonymous‘ option <screenshot> and save the settings by clicking on the blue ‘Save‘ button at the bottom of the page.
- Congrats, you have successfully imported the survey into your course.
3. The course professor will notify the course evaluator. See more...
- Let your course evaluator know that next time they log into Canvas, they will have access to your course and the survey
- Also, ask them to notify you once they have reviewed your course and have exported the survey results so that you can remove them from the course and delete the survey.
4. The course evaluator, will craft a message to all students asking them to take the survey. See more...
- Log in to Canvas and go into the course that you are going to evaluate
- Go into the quizzes section by clicking on the ‘Quizzes‘ button from the course menu
- From the ‘Surveys’ section click on ‘Student Evaluation Survey‘ link. This opens the survey, copy the URL; you will be pasting this into your message so that students can click on the link to take the survey. <screenshot>
- Now, go into the inbox, select the course you are evaluating and click on “feather” icon to compose a new message <screenshot>
- Next, select all the students by clicking on the “Address book” icon (in the “To” field) and going into ‘Students’ option and selecting ‘All in Students‘ from the drop-down menu <screenshot>
- In the ‘Subject‘ enter the subject of your message
- Lastly, craft your message or use the template below. Be sure to paste the link to the survey into the body of your message and verify that message contains the start & due dates for the survey. Once you are ready to send the message click on the ‘Send‘ button to send this message to all of the students within this course <screenshot>
“Dear students. This semester, your instructor is undergoing the Yuba College Instructor Evaluation process, and we’d like to have your input through this survey (“this survey” needs to include the link to the survey within the course; the one you copied in step 3). Your participation in this evaluation survey is voluntary and anonymous. Your anonymous feedback is intended to aid your instructor in the evaluation of his/her presentation of this course. Your responses to the questions and your comments are often found most valuable in the continual quest for improving instruction. This is not a formal complaint procedure. However, such a procedure exists at the college. If you find some questions (1) not applicable to this course, or (2) not clear as to their meaning, feel free to omit answering these questions. Please let me know if you have any questions. The survey will be available from <insert-survey-start-date> to <insert-survey-end-date>. If you have any questions, please let me know.”
You are done for now
5. Once the survey deadline has passed, the course evaluator will review/export results and notify the course professor that it is okay for her/him to remove the course evaluator from the course and to delete the survey from the course. See more...
Steps to review and download survey results:
- From within course and click on ‘Quizzes’ button on the course menu
- In the ‘Surveys’ section, click on ‘Student Evaluation Survey‘ this will open the survey <screenshot>
- Now click on ‘Survey Statistics’ button located on upper right side of the screen <screenshot>
- From the ‘Survey Statistics’ page click on ‘Student Analysis‘ to download the survey results <screenshot>
Once you have completed the evaluation process, please inform the course professor so that she/he may remove the survey from the course and your access to the course.